Thursday, July 5, 2012

4th of July Brownie and Fruit Kabobs


*****************************

Our Blog has moved!  

Please visit us 


*****************************








Fruit and chocolate = yum.
We were invited to our friends house for the 4th of July, and I was put in charge of dessert.
Sometimes I wish I was the kind of person that could pick up a box of cookies and call it a day....but most of the time I'm glad that I'm not.
I honestly love to bake and cook...but what I love even more is to see people
enjoy whatever I've put together.
Kind of like Christmas....sure, it's nice to get presents.  However, 
my favorite part about Christmas (besides being with loved ones) is watching people open the presents that I picked out or made for them.
it's the best.
****************
So, on to the point of this post.
I made 2 desserts for the party.
A delicious trifle, and then these kid friendly kabobs.

SO easy - and a HUGE hit..

this is what you will need:

brownie mix
(eggs and vegetable oil)
chocolate chips
Chocolate syrup
kabob skewers
marshmallows
fruit of your choice
(I used blueberries and strawberries for red white and blue)
shortening or non-stick spray
jelly roll pan or cookie sheet with sides
cookie cutter 

First I greased a large cookie sheet with crisco.
Make sure you get a good layer on there, because you want them to come out of the pan in one piece.

Next I prepared the brownie mix (I used 2 boxes because of the size of this pan).
Before kids I ALWAYS baked from scratch. Now, I am proud if I bake...and it is an added bonus ifI get to make it from scratch.
I prefer Betty Crocker Original Supreme mix if I used a boxed mix.
I also always add chocolate chips.  Simply because they are better that way :)
I used about half a bag of mini chocolate chips, Regular sized chips would work too.
spread the mix into your greased cookie sheet/jelly roll pan.
Bake according to the direction on the box or your recipe.
I baked these at 350 for about 25-30 minutes.
check with a toothpick to make sure they are done.
Take them out and let them cool.
Once they are cool, lay a towel over the top of your pan.
use the towel to hold the brownie when you flip the pan over.
I just tapped the back of the pan a few times and it fell out easily.
Keep this step in mind when greasing your pan!

I wanted to flip the big brownie again so it was right side up to cut.
I just put another towel on top and it made the process of flipping much easier.

Now - you can just use a knife and cut these into squares.
Since it was the 4th of July - I had to make them stars.
the cookie cutter went through the brownie in the center easily.
the outer edges were a little tougher.
I tapped a meat mallet to help the cookie cutter go through.
Now you just load your fruit, brownies and marshmallows 
onto the skewer sticks however you like.
Once I did that...I had to add some vitamins and Calcium.
They were for the kiddos you know 
:)
Just drizzle the chocolate syrup over your kabobs and they are ready to go.

Super easy, (nutritious) and delicious!

Enjoy!

~Jacki~











No comments:

Post a Comment