Thursday, July 26, 2012

Tips for stitching out the Princess Masks (Great for Halloween/ Dress Up/ Mardi Gras too!)


*****************************

Our Blog has moved!  

Please visit us 


*****************************







I thought I would just do a quick blog post on how I stitched these out and share some tips with you.  There really is no right or wrong way to do these...do whatever works for you.

It really isn't any harder than a regular applique!

I just love these masks.  Sure, I have a biased opinion..but seriously...what is not to love!

You can purchase the digital files here:


You will receive all three of these masks.
Each mask comes in 4x4, 5x7 & 6x10 sizes.

The 5x7 size fits children (as pictured below on our adorable model) but also fits my face.  But the 6x10 size might be a little better if you are planning on using these for adults.  I think the 4x4 would be adorable as party decor, a matching mask for a doll...or even stitched out on a garment.

So..here are the tips that I came up with along the way.

First mask - I hooped 2 layers of tear away stabilizer, ran the applique portion and trimmed my fabric.

when I finished the mask and pulled the stabilizer away it left little fuzzies all around the mask (pictured below).

There is nothing wrong with this...it probably looks fine to most people.
You could take a marker and color in the fuzzies.
I have issues...and didn't like the fuzz.  I also thought that it needed to be a little more sturdy since I know my daughter will put these on and take them off a million times in the next week alone.

So, for the next 2 masks..I did it this way.

I hooped 2 layers of heavy weight water soluble stabilizer.
First I ran the placement stitch for the design.
I then floated a piece of heavier cut away stabilizer  (You can use hard felt too) with my fabric on top of that.

I didn't take a picture of this part - but I trimmed the fabric only until I had the main pieces of the mask fabrics done..and then went through and trimmed the thicker stabilizer.  Trim as close as possible to the stitches so the final satin stitch covers the edge of your felt or stabilizer.

then I just ran the rest of the design.
I left a little more edge on the inside of the eyes to make sure that the pattered fill stitch had something to grab on to...but the parts with the satin stitch didn't need it.

As you can see from the picture above...they are stunning without any embellishments.

BUT

everything is a little more fun with sparkle and feathers!

Special thanks to "Bee" and her Mommy from Bee's Bowtique for the awesome 
"action" shots.  Here are some examples of what these masks look like
with the perfect amount of "Bee-dazzling"


You can skip the step of the holes to run the elastic through and attach them to a stick for a Mardi Gras look...
any way you choose to make them, they are so much fun!

Thanks for stopping by!!

Jacki








No comments:

Post a Comment